Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Monday, July 18, 2005

I Want That Hour Back

I stayed up late last night to watch the premiere of the Pauly Shore show, Minding the Store.

I can’t say I went in with an open mind, ‘cause I am not a Paul Shore fan. I’m not much of a fan of the Comedy Store either. That place has chewed me up and spit me out with countless bringer shows in the Belly Room. Ugh.

But I wanted to see what Pauly would do with the show, and see exactly what goes into running the Comedy Store.

It was a valiant attempt on Pauly’s end. I can see where he’s trying to go but it just isn’t working. The first scene had Pauly’s V.O. “I was on my way to an audition, but my mom wants me to run the Comedy Store.” Wha???? You can’t do both? The Comedy Store’s been standing for 30 years and it can’t wait another two hours for you to go blow an audition?

Setting up his motley crew of friends fell short too. They really needed to have captions running below the person or at least V.O. the person’s name. His sister was in a scene and they didn’t even acknowledge that it was his sister. And who were those comics helping those chicks work on their material? That would have been nice to know.

And I’m not going to go into the whole premise of the first episode: that there are no hot female comedians. In some ways I think it’s true. Hot chicks don’t need to be funny, they can just be hot. In some ways I’m glad I didn’t become hot ‘til my early adulthood. That way I was able to hone my brilliant comedic skills and not rely on my forthcoming hotness.

That episode really did point out the randomness of getting booked at the Comedy Store. Back when Mitzy was in her heyday, she would only put people up that were truly funny, or who she had a good feeling about. Now it’s about being best buddies with the booker or being willing to bring 40 of your closest friends to pay a $15 cover and drink a $10 Cosmo to come see you do 7 minutes. It’s really sad.

I was, however, excited that I recognized five of the comics featured on the show. I think I might have made out with one of them. All those Cosmos, it’s a blur.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger SeriouslyNoWay said…

    Oh where oh where is the little emoticon from IM. The one with the incredulous eyebrow raise. The one that wordlessly states, "Pauly Shore? You wasted time on Pauly shore? What the heck?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home