Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Couples, Couples Everywhere

Being single during the holidays totally blows. I was the only person at the company Christmas party tonight without a date. Even the nerdiest developer brought someone-so it was his mom, but that’s not even the point.

I spent the whole evening chatting up other couples while drinking cheap merlot out of a plastic cup. And the worst part of all, we were on a boat so I couldn’t have snuck out early if I tried.

That of course made me wonder, if I had fallen off the boat, would anyone have noticed? Probably not.

The thing is, I’ve never brought a date to a work event in the past and it’s never bothered me, ‘cause there were usually enough other singles there that I had a group to talk to, but tonight it was ALL COUPLES. I felt like a complete loser… until that is, I started pounding the wine.

I don’t even like wine, but it was there when I needed it. It didn’t act like it had something better to do that night or would rather be somewhere else, like hanging with its friends or watching football. It didn’t say it was going to call then didn’t. It didn’t check out the chick at the other table. I had its full attention. It was just me and the wine. It was a true friend. I love you wine. Never leave me. Promise me!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger SeriouslyNoWay said…

    If you had fallen off the boat we would have figured it out when the salad didn't make it for Christmas Eve.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home