Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Already Turning Down Gigs

I was approached by the HR lady in my office to provide my comedy stylings at the Company Christmas party next weekend. Apparently Nadia the Flamenco Dancer had pulled a calf muscle and would be unable to dazzle us with the sensuous dance of the pink bird.

Now, my comedy aspirations are no secret around the office. Quite the contrary, I told my soon-to-be-boss during my interview that I’d stay with the company just until I got my HBO special, then I’d be out the door. Of course that was nearly five years ago, but they still know that’s the plan.

I’ve emceed several work related events, last summer’s company picnic, the last round of baby showers and my favorite, the christening of the new snack machine. But mostly I just introduced people and kept the event moving. I’ve never pulled out any of my stand up material.

Finally, after much deliberation and conversations among my co-workers, as well as some heated IMing between me and RubyDKirk, I decided against doing stand up at the office Christmas party. Nothing good can come of it, I’ve decided. And while my boss and several of my co-workers have actually come out and seen me do stand up; I’ve decided that I must keep the two worlds separate. It’s one thing for them to come see me rock the mike at the Coffee Beanery, but it’s a whole other thing for me to bring the comedy into the work arena. Plus it’s never a good idea to stick out, even at informal company events. You know what they say about the squeaky nail? It gets pounded.

Plus I have a feeling this crowd wouldn’t get my brand of humor. They are more of the “we like Jay Leno-Carrot Top” crowd. My comedy is more of the “I hate Jay Leno-Carrot Top” variety.

Oh, then there’s the fact that they weren’t going to pay me for it. Yo, I don’t work for free. Ok I do, but I won’t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home