Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Dumpster Indignation

I took the trash out to the dumpster this morning. As I came around the corner I was startled to see a bunch of empty soda cans strewn about on the ground. I was even more startled when I realized there was a guy in the dumpster going through the garbage in search of even more recyclables.

I went to throw my trash in the other dumpster and as I turned to leave the guy in the dumpster held up a huge plastic container of cranberry grape juice. The conversation began:


“Do you know what this is?” he asks.


“Um…cranberry grape juice?” I reply.


“No, it’s motor oil. Someone filled this container up with motor oil and just threw it away. That’s unsafe. Can you believe that?”

What did he want me to say? Even I know perfectly well that you
shouldn’t throw away motor oil. I know ‘cause Jiffy Lube charges me to get rid of the old oil when I take my car in. I know that the oil could get into the ground water or into the sewers and end up in the ocean where a poor sea bird could end up covered with it and the only way to clean him up would be with a washcloth and Dawn dish soap.

“That’s awful,” I say.


“Yes, it is. I’m going to tell the condo president,” he says.


To this I wanted to ask, “How are you going to begin that conversation?“ How about “So I was digging through the trash and came upon THIS!’”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home