Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Wanna See My Pocket Pair?

Sorry for not writing lately dear blog. I’ve just been so preoccupied lately that I haven’t had much time to do anything comedy-related. Life has a tendency to do that to you.

But I did want to regale you with my worst beat ever, last night at Joey and Marissa’s home game.

Joey was nice enough to front me the $10 buy-in because I promised to do a bit of my comedy for the group before the game.

When he had mentioned it the week prior I thought he was just talking shit and I didn’t actually think that he’d have me get up and do stand up.

But when I got to their house I discovered that Joey had set up a mike and amp in the middle of the living room.

It was my first time performing at a poker tournament. It was also strange ‘cause it’s not often that I know everyone in the room when I perform. But I gave them about 10 minutes and everyone seemed to enjoy it, plus as I mentioned before, I got a free buy in for it.

Too bad I got crap for cards all night. I won a pot or two, but nothing really exciting. I actually made it to the final table. The first four places would pay out, with first place getting $150. Not too shabby.

I was going in short stacked, with $1175 and the blinds at $100/200. The first hand I’m dealt: pocket jacks. The other short stack went all-in ahead of me with $200 so I called. The guy to my right raised to $500 so I called. Three players. The flop was like 2c 5d, 9h, all crap. So I go all in. It was the best two cards I had gotten all night and I’d be down to nothing when the blinds went up. The guy to my right quickly calls and flips over his freakin’ pocket As.

I should have known. But then, the other guy who had gone all in at the beginning of the hand turns over his pocket As. What the hell??? I wouldn’t even know the statistical odds of two players, at a 9 player table, both getting pocket As. But it just figures that I should be trapped in between them. My only hope is that a jack comes on the turn or the river. Of course, if you’ve been reading my blog for more than two weeks you’ll know that I don’t have that kind of luck.

I was home by 11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home