Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Ms. Benson if You're Nasty

I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep my maiden name if I ever do break down and get married. The only way I wouldn’t is if my future husband has a really rockin’ last name, like Rockefeller or Aerosmith.

It’s all or nothing though. I’m not going to do the hyphenated thing. I just think it sets a bad precedent. There are the people that give their kids their hyphenated last name. Some day we could have kids with hyphenated last names marrying one another and suddenly we have doubled hyphenated names all over the place. Then all hell will break loose. Banks would have to extend the signature line on checks. High school football jerseys would have to extend all the way around to the front. And don’t even get me started on I.D. bracelets.

I might consider taking my husband’s name if it sounds better than Leana Benson, but that’s going to be pretty tough. And Benson is a pretty strong last name. People don’t mispronounce it or misspell it. Although people in L.A. sometimes think I’m saying V instead of B. Are there a lot of Vensons in the world? I would like to meet a Venson. I don’t think I’d change my last name to Venson though if I married a Venson. And I certainly wouldn’t hyphenate it. Leana Benson-Venson is just asking to get a slap upside the head.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger SeriouslyNoWay said…

    I have a boring and common last name and I used to always want to change it when I got married. But, after hearing some of the horror stories about people who did change their name then got divorced and had a hell of a time changing it back, I've decided I'm keeping Smith, or at least hyphenating it. Or better yet, never getting married at all.

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    You crack me up!! My husband is in the other room wondering while I'm uncontrollably laughing out loud by myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home