Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Everything I Know, I Learned from Dirty Dancing

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the summer of 1988. I was 12. I took away my mom’s control over my hair (read: no more Ogilvy™ Home Perms), I finally had a reason to wear a bra and I learned to apply make up without looking like a whore-clown.

I saw the movie Dirty Dancing for the first time. I thought it was the Greatest. Movie. Ever. It had everything I loved in a movie; great music, dancing and an easy-to-follow plot. It also taught me a lot of life lessons, several of which I still hold close to this very day. Here are just a few:

1) God wouldn't have given you maracas if He didn't want you to shake 'em.
2) Don’t date waiters.
3) Cut-off shorts and white button-down shirts are always in style.
4) Don’t get an abortion from a guy with a fold up table and a rusty knife.
5) Nobody puts Baby in a corner. Not even Jerry Orbach. RIP

1 Comments:

  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    This post is all-too-true! My friend Jaime and I watched Dirty Dancing almost every day during the summer of '88. Come to think of it, I don't really remember doing anything else that summer! Ah, the memories. We learned some great dance moves along with how to balance watermelons while opening doors. And you're right, nobody puts Baby in a corner!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home