Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

We're All Apart of the Fast Food Nation

I had the most ridiculous conversation yesterday. I was waiting to meet with my workout coach and one of the other coaches came up to chat with me. He started talking about the benefits of eating raw foods and only buying organically grown fruits and vegetables.

Some of his points made sense, but for the most part I was just left internally rolling my eyes. I totally understand that food today is way over processed, full of preservatives and chemicals and shit that is meant to make it last longer on the store shelf or in the can. I know that cow milk is full of so many hormones that it’s making 9 year-old girls grow huge cans before their time. I know that the pesticides they spray on my vegetables and fruits is probably getting into my body and wreaking havoc. But the alternative is not worth it.

I mean, come one. Shopping at Whole Foods with those pretentious checkers who make $5 an hour but know all abut organically grown foods and how much better for your body than the product they sell at Ralph’s or Vons. And spending $80 for a bag a groceries I could get at Pavilions for $20. I’m sure it will be different when I’m rich and famous, but when you are poor it’s less about your health and more about your wallet.

And I hardly have time to heat up my preservative-laden foods as it is. If I had to cook everything from scratch or fallow a bunch of specific rules so that I don’t kill myself trying to eat raw foods, it would definitely cut into my laying around time.

Plus this coach sounds like he’s just miserable. Of course he doesn’t realize it and even when I tried to explain to him how miserable he had to be, he didn’t get it. He was talking about the fasting he does and how he uses coconut oil for cooking instead of vegetable oil or canola oil. Gross. The saddest part is when he was talking about how for a treat he sometimes has a glass of unpasteurized milk. Fuckin’ sick! I’ve had unpasteurized milk (I’m from Iowa, we all have tried it at least once) and I remember it taking like ass. I’m all for pasteurization. And the dude considers it a treat.

I’m just glad he’s not my coach.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger SeriouslyNoWay said…

    I love vegetables and I prefer them raw. But I do not buy into the whole eat raw and organic and avoid chemicals deal. I mean, if I go outside for a walk I probably end up breathing in more toxic fumes from smog than I could ever hope to consume from chemically-laden foods. There's no way you need to be so drastic. I'm convinced if I exercised 45 minutes a day and eliminated caffeine and sugar from my diet and stuck to a low calorie regimen that closely followed the food pyramid, I would totally reap the benefits. Yet even that is too much. Give up caffeine...Bah! Never!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home