Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

"Miami, You're Cuter Than... an Intrauterine"

There were sitcoms from my childhood that I used to think were so hilarious, so brilliant, so timeless. But with the passing of time and the proliferation of reruns on Nick at Nite, Lifetime and Fox, I have come to find out that those shows were pretty much shit.

I remember that I used to love ALF. Even though at the age of 10 I knew the acting on the show stunk to China, I really liked the alien. I watched 227, Silver Spoons, Gimme a Break, Facts of Life and even It’s Your Move, with Jason Bateman, religiously. I even watched Valerie, Valerie’s Family AND The Hogan Family. Now when I see one of those shows in reruns I cringe.

The one exception is The Golden Girls. That show was and is still brilliant, still hilarious.. The writing was pure genius and the acting was top notch. The storylines were always so clever and the dialogue was so right-on. I couldn’t image any other actors in the roles of Blanche, Sophia, Dorothy or Rose. I can watch the same episode over and over again. I’m not sure if I truly appreciated it when I was younger, the way I do now.

I’ve already decided that I’m going to be Dorothy when I get old, then probably turn into Sophia. Actually, I take that back, I think I’m Sophia right now.

I can’t think of any show on TV right now that would be able to hold a candle to The Golden Girls. I would watch a rerun of The Golden Girls over any new episode of any of the crap on the major networks.

The sitcoms of today are basically the same storylines from 15 years ago regurgitated for the next generation. The stuff that’s being forced upon us now is such contrived drivel. They feed us the same tired plots, lame dialog and one-dimensional characters. It’s no wonder that sitcoms are dying. People would rather watch some chick gag chewing on cow balls than watch a hot chick married to a funny, fat dude.

There’s really no point to this entry. I just wanted to pay homage to The Golden Girls, for reminding me in reruns that the ability to create great sitcoms exists somewhere in the universe. I can only hope that it happens again in my lifetime.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home