Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Naw Naw This!

I’m a Gwen Stefani fan. Well, I’m a No Doubt fan, but really, is there a difference??? My friend Hugh thinks she’s greasy looking, but I think it’s just ‘cause she likes the ‘shiny face’ look.

But her new song ‘Rich Girl’ really chaps me. It’s a total rip off of ‘If I Were a Rich Man’ From Fiddler, but ok, she’s not the first to sample a song from a musical. I like the tune and it’s got a beat that makes my hips move to and fro, but the lyrics are just so ridiculous. It’s something a five year old would write if given 5 minutes of time out in the corner. Here they are:

naw naw naw naw naw naw naw naw
naw naw naw naw naw naw naw naw
naw naw naw naw naw naw
If I were a rich girl a nawnawnawnawn
say I'd have all the money in the world if I were a wealthy girl
No man could test me, impress me, my cash flow would never ever end Cause I'd have all the money in the world, if I was a wealthy girl

Really? Gwen is actually listed as the writer. I can’t believe she would want to take credit for that.

I counted: 1,485 naws. Was she paid by the letter? If the naws were supposed to make up for the lame writing, then she could have added another 2,000 to make up for the weak lyrics she threw in there. I’d be willing to give up the gem line “I’d have all the money in the world, if I were a wealthy girl.” How insightful is that? That’s great Gwen. How about, “I’d have all the hair in the world if I didn’t have a Lady Norelco” or “I’d have all the cellulite in the world if I was a pastry chef.” What? Not good? Neither is what she wrote! People just like her ‘cause she can wear 10 inch heels.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How about this one: "I'm Going Down" by Bruce Springsteen. Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down

    Exactly where his career is now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home