Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Leana’s Inferno

The only thing more annoying than Robin Williams, is watching a TV movie about Robin Williams. Ohmygawd. The actor playing Robin was dead-on. He was able to perfectly capture the freakishly annoying manic energy of a young Robin Williams. Two minutes into the show I wanted to step on his face, the exact same feeling I get when I see the real Robin Williams on the The Tonight Show or Letterman. I think I actually screamed “shut up!” out loud twice.

The movie was pretty interesting actually. I didn’t realize Robin Williams was the last person to see John Belushi alive-I mean besides the chick that killed him.

I did think that the casting was pretty good. They guy playing Robin Williams was awesome. And the chick that played Pam Dawber was dead-on. I also liked the guy who played Garry Marshall. He’s got a franchise if they decide to make a TV-movie about Laverne and Shirley and Happy Days. The obvious exceptions to the casting were the guys who played Fonzie, John Belushi and Jay Thomas. Oh and the only similarity between Richard Pryer and the guy who played him in this movie was that they were both black. And I’m being extremely gracious.

What I don’t understand most was why they bothered to make this TV movie at all. ABC has done these types of movies before with Gilligan’s Island and Three’s Company. Those were two pretty long-running shows with some real drama involved. Mork and Mindy was only on three years and the only drama was that Robin Williams was a comic genius that kept his cast mates in stitches and who pretty much let the writers sit back and pick their asses. Oh, that’s juicy!

Actually what I don’t understand most is why I watched all two hours. I think I must really hate myself. Excuse me while I go pull out my leg hair with those rusty tweezers.*

*Please understand that I know there are those people out there who might like Robin Williams, even think he’s funny. Don’t get me wrong, I applaud his long career and would kill to even be 1/10 as successful as he is. I just don’t think he’s funny. Now, where are those tweezers???

1 Comments:

  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger SeriouslyNoWay said…

    Number of Robin William's movies I have seen: 7
    Number of Robin William's movies that I enjoyed: 6
    Number of Robin William's movies where he was a good actor: 3
    Number of Robin William's movies where he was funny: 1
    funny movie: Disney's Aladdin.
    What does this say about Robin Willaims?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home