Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Poll

Do I paint my apartment or do I pay someone to do it for me?

Here are a couple thoughts I put together, but if you have an opinion, please feel free to share.


It will cost me at least $300 to hire someone, not including paint and supplies. There’s something ingrained in me that makes it hard to justify spending money for something that I could, at least in theory, do myself. It’s not like hiring someone to wire my electricity The only skill it requires is being able to hold a brush, I guess.

How do I know the guy I hire won’t come in, charge too much and do a half-assed job? And how do I know he won’t paint, get paid and come back the next night and chop me into little, bit-sized pieces?

But I hate painting. It’s messy and smelly and not fun. I have to put on a coat of primer before I even start, doubling the time I have to spend painting, which I hate. And how much is my time really worth? I have to believe it’s at least $300 plus the cost of paint and supplies.


And I hate asking friends to come help. People are busy. And if they come over to help and do a half assed job I can’t really complain. They’re doing it for free.

What do you think?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's a job best left to the pros. Even an experienced handyman will usually pass on it. I learned my lesson when I got to replace all my carpet when the whole gallon of paint fell off the ladder and onto the floor. Then, the $300 seems cheap.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Definitely hire the painting! We just hired a painter for our whole first floor of the house - I think this saved our marriage! HOpe you are doing well, Leana! I love reading your blog - you make me laugh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home