Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Carpet Doesn’t Match the Drapes

I had Brian from Carpet Wagon come out last night to give me a free, in-home estimate for carpet for my bachelorette pad. He came with about 100 books of carpet and more knowledge about remnants than any male should have.

I spent about half an hour going through books and putting the samples next to my newly painted walls. I would walk towards them from different directions and move the lighting around. I’d think, “How will this look in natural light?” “How will this look with all the lamps on?” “How will this look when I come stumbling in drunk at 3 am?”

I finally settled on one and then the fun part began…haggling! I’ve learned from the best on how to get people down on price.

The first I learned from one of my company’s top sales guys- it’s called the “Suck It.” That’s where the guy gives you the price and you suck in your breath like you were just punched in the gut.

The second I learned from my mom- it’s called “I B Poor.” I just told the dude I hadn’t planned on spending over a certain amount ‘cause I have student loans, medical bills and a bastard of an ex-husband who gets spousal support.

The final one I learned from my dad- it’s called “Take it or Leave it.” I looked down at the paint and cat stained carpet and said “you know, this carpet can probably last me a few more years.”

The guy brought the price down nearly $400. Not too shabby.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uh, just remember that the carpet sales guy has a few tricks of his own. After all, you're just doing this once; he's doing it every day, prolly several times a day.

    The first thing to check is to make sure the grade and quality of what you get is the same as what you agreed to buy. Oldest trick in the book... deliver a lower grade of carpet than what you were shown. Trust but verify!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home