Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

It's High Up Here on My Soapbox

I was wrestling with the decision to even bring up this subject. I wanted my weblog to be a fun little place for people to read the clever rantings of a brilliant comic mind. I didn’t want it to turn into some political forum or a place for me to rant about the injustices of the world. But I just can’t not comment on the tragic events of today on the train tracks.

I’m a big fan of the idea of free will. Every day we wake up and make choices; to get out of bed or not, to go to the gym or not, to eat a bowl of Kellogg’s Special K with Vanilla Almonds or two. Nobody forces us to get out of bed. Of course if we don’t we’ll probably lose our jobs, wont be able to pay the rent and end up living on the street- but that’s a choice. Our own choice.

And suicide is a choice. No matter what your moral or ethically feelings are about the subject, it’s a choice. A pretty permanent choice I wouldn’t recommend, but if you decide that life would be better off without you in it, then by all means, that’s your choice.


But don’t take other people with you on your exit from this planet. THEY chose to get out of bed that morning, to go to work, to try to make it to see the next day.

So go ahead and off yourself, but make sure to go it alone. Take some pills and go to sleep, slit your wrists in a warm bathtub, sit in your garage with the car running, whatever. Don’t jump out a tall building where you could land on others, don’t drive your car into on-coming traffic, and don’t, whatever you do, jump from an overpass and hold up rush-hour traffic.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger SeriouslyNoWay said…

    Never has a more true word been spoken on this subject. I totally agree. In fact, I neglected posting about it because I had no way of putting my incoherent anger at some effed up creep into such good words. There are plenty of ways to deal with your own life without being a selfish bastard.

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was so upset that I actually called a talk radio show (Al Rantel on KABC 790)on Wednesday night to vent. I ride on those tracks several times a week, so this wreck hit too close to home. I got calls all day to see if I was all right. It was tremendously stupid and selfish and evil of this guy to park his car on the tracks. Unfortunately, you can't talk sense to a depressed and drugged out wife beater. All you can do is put him in jail for a very long time. And ironically, he may actually get his death wish.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home