Leana's Comedy Blog Etc...

The continuing saga of a single, burgeoning stand-up comedienne/wanna-be poker ingénue/bitter corporate drone/closet hermit/hapless homeowner…living in L.A.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Two Thumbs Up

The Sarah Silverman movie, “Jesus is Magic” was playing in limited release Friday night. Extremely limited, as it was only playing at the NuArt in Los Angeles and the University 6 in Irvine.

I thought we could try to make the 8 o’clock show in Irvine but that by the time we got down there it would probably be sold out and we’d have to wait for the 10 p.m. show.

Boy was I wrong.

Not only was it not sold out, there were seats on either side of us. My only conclusion: Orange County is even squarer than I thought!

The movie was great. It was hilarious. I highly recommend everyone go out at see it, once it comes out in general release…whenever that will be. It’s not even rated, but I have a feeling that once it is, it will get something like an NC-“If you let you underage children see this movie you should be beat down.”

My boyfriend and I each picked out a couple we thought would walk out sometime during the movie, realizing that “Jesus is Magic” is not a sequel to “Passion of the Christ.” We both picked elderly couples. We were both wrong. The old people ate that shit up. They were laughing louder than we were.

The only people who left the theater during the movie were a guy who looked in his mid 40s and his teenage daughter. I know exactly what line drove them out too. It was Sarah saying this: “God please let them find seaman in my dead grandmother’s vagina.”

It’s that kind of movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home